The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of version 1.5.7. Significant effort went into clean up of user interface margins and widget sizing, however most changes have taken place "under the hood". Apart from bug fixing this also meant to refine previously introduced features, as well as preparing the code for future Qt versions. A few remaining issues aside, this release has been thoroughly tested and is considered to be stable. However, there are also some new features.
Please note that while some bug fixes still may be backported to the 1.4.x branch, we do not plan an official relase of this version anymore. If you think you need the changes, you have to check out the SVN repository and build 1.4.9svn from source.
Most important changes
- Improvements for undo and redo of grouped items
- Support for later versions of dependencies such as poppler and podofo
- Fixed: Issue with Qt menu heuristics causing translations not to work.
- As of version 1.5.7, the minimum Qt version to compile Scribus is 5.14.
- As of version 1.5.7, Scribus can import text as editable text from PDF files. It should be noted that this new feature is still experimental.
- Improved font embedding for OpenType fonts in PDF/X-4
- Unification and standardization of the user interface regarding margins, button and widget sizing, thanks to the tireless work of Gyuris Gellért.
- Render frames are now pre-configured for the use of XeLaTeX.
- macOS: Scribus 1.5.7 notarization has been fixed. It will run correctly without security warnings from Apple on Mojave through Big Sur. For those that use the Scripter functionality, our default DMG download of Scribus on macOS uses Python 2.x installed with the operating system. We have an experimental release that allows the use of Python3 if the user has XCode installed.
- macOS: Inclusion of libqxp/libzmf to bring parity across OSes for importing of QXP and ZMF files.
The complete changelog is available here: https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=112. More details are available from the Scribus Commit Mailing List archive (http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus-commit/), beginning with revision 24254 in November 2020.
Primary Download Locations
- Installation packages for Windows, macOS, a Linux AppImage and the source code are available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.7/
- Packaging for the various Linux distributions, as well as other platforms is beyond our influence. We recommend updating the respective repository data on a regular basis.
- Windows Portable App: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/scribus_portable#test
|OS X 10.14 or higher, Intel x64||scribus-1.5.7.dmg|
|*Experimental* OS X 10.15 or higher, Intel x64, XCode required for Python3||scribus-1.5.7-CatalinaPy3.dmg|
|Windows 32/64 Bit||scribus-1.5.7-windows.exe||256cf5dff51678f86ea0d8e281274ad7854cd5010f5a3ba9fdc5eea158bf5a19||f9350dffb4eb7b8a9405def8bcb835eb87fab95e|
|Windows 64 Bit||scribus-1.5.7-windows-x64.exe||e078145e379f1e1dc635a1b46f1495e7e8114b34009d3a6c619d10cb41a36d02||f90ddf7d4430c270a75ae30a3d58d0c10b04f344|
|Linux 64 bit AppImage ||scribus-1.5.7-linux-x86_64.AppImage|
|Windows PortableApps.com Format||ScribusPortable_1.5.7.paf.exe|
The Scribus Team would like to thank Anduin.net and Modirum for their continued hosting of all of the Scribus websites.
We are grateful to the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie for sponsoring.
The Scribus Team is also honored to have Resene Colours (New Zealand), dtp studio Oldenburg (Germany), Scientific Illustration Services Corp. (USA), the Newspaper Association of America (USA), Software Consulting Services (USA), freieFarbe e.V. (Germany), bauwerk Kommunikationsdesign (Germany) as Special Supporters and donors of color palettes and other content since the 1.4.x release, just like we are grateful to the owner of Vector Portal for the permission to distribute some of his work as Scribus Templates.
Finally, the Scribus Team would like to thank the many end users, translators, testers and contributors who helped us with this release.